12.02.2015

Scale, you suck.



I have been working out almost everyday for the last 5 months.  And the scale has barely budged.

It has been a crazy frustrating party of this journey. I spent my life before kids about 20 pounds lighter than I am right now, but also in way worse shape. (I've always been a self-proclaimed laze-mo/couch potato.) The most exercise I ever did was walking.  ...there was a short stint of biking to work for a year before I had Elliott, but it was an 8-minute ride one way, and half of it was downhill. It almost doesn't even count.

Everyone I've talked to says not to rely on the scale. Muscle weighs more than fat, yadda yadda yadda. 

But then you go to the doctor and your BMI is in the "obese" range, and a bunch of "official" sources tell you that you should weigh this much. And suddenly I'm weighing myself so often it's bordering on an obsession. And the whole thing is ridiculously exhausting!

So I'm 5 months in, and the scale has barely moved. But the tape measure...the tape measure has moved! And my clothes are fitting differently! And I'm needing to buy new pants! And I've got muscles I didn't even know existed! And I have more energy than I've ever had, and I can run with my kids on the playground and not get winded in 5 seconds! And I can dance ballet around my living room with my 2 year old and not feel like I weigh a million pounds!

And I'm realizing something. 

The scale doesn't know crap! That digital number can't tell me how I look or how I feel or how healthy I am. It can't tell me how much of that number is bones or organs, water or food, fat or muscles! It can only tell me the number based on my body's relationship to gravity at any given moment.  It also changes based on what type of floor it's sitting on (true story).

After 5 months, I'm finally learning to let go of that stupid number, and focus on what's really important.  How I feel. Because that's the real reason I started this journey.  To feel and be healthier.

So don't let that stupid scale get you down. It's not a mirror of anything. It can't tell you anything about yourself other than what you let it say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!