7.20.2013

Baltic Amber teething necklace

First thing, a quick note: Yesterday, I posted about lactation cookies. My dad read it and thought there was breast milk IN the cookies. There is no breast milk in the cookies. 

Drinking my own milk is definitely not my style. 

Just thought I'd clear that up in case anyone else was confused. 


Ellie has starting teething. 

I was hoping she'd be somewhat of a late bloomer in the tooth department, but it seems that is not the case. Our house has been full of drool and yelling. 

After doing some research, and talking to some other mamas, I decided to buy Ellie a Baltic Amber Teething Necklace. They're a naturopathic teething remedy and are, apparently, very popular in Europe. 

The idea is, baby wears the necklace, and the amber releases succinic acid which works as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reducer.   

Ellie's necklace is a bit too long for her, so I've been wrapping it around her wrist like a bracelet (its the only place I can wrap it securely). When she sleeps though, I wrap it around her ankle and cover it with her sock so she can't mess with it. 

Her worse teething time is in the evening. She's been wearing the necklace for 2 full days now...except for in the late afternoons. She's fallen asleep in the car the last two afternoons and in an effort to keep her sleeping, I've just removed the necklace from her wrist and not bothered with wrapping it on her leg. 

You don't wake a sleeping baby, after all.

But the last 2 mornings, I've noticed less drool. And definitely less yelling. 

While the jury is still out on whether or not the amber has magic powers, I have decided one thing: jewelry looks adorable on babies. Especially on my baby. 

2 comments:

  1. Adorbs....and yes...i think it is magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! What will they think of next? I've seen lots of moms wearing the teething necklace too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!