2.27.2012

Life Smithing

I have not spent a significant part of my life being creative.  I think it's always been hiding away in me, but I don't generally think of myself as having a great ability to express myself through crafts.

Since getting married, I've felt a stronger need to be creative and "nest." Both Brad and myself have taken on several projects in our home.  Mine have leaned more toward the decorating side of homemaking, while he has been focusing on building things (like a sweet kitchen island for me!). 

I joined Pinterest at the end of last year, and have found plenty of projects to pin (and do). I've made my own laundry soap, and have completed several successful healthy dinner recipes. Among the top things I've gotten into, thanks to Pinterest, is crochet.

My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was in elementary school. I knew how to do a basic stitch, but I never really made anything of merit until I was in college. After Google was invented, and I could look up stitches and teach myself how to crochet more than just a chain, I decided it'd be a good idea to make more things.

In college, I made scarves for boys I liked, and impressed them with my yarn-working skills...hot. I had a lot of dates.  Except I really didn't.

I've made one blanket. It took me over a year to finish it.  I didn't crochet again for 5 years.  My hand needed the rest. 

I picked up my crochet hook again this winter, when I decided that I wanted to make most of my gifts for Christmas. I made several hats, ear-warmers for my sisters, and an infinity scarf. Below is a hat that I made for my husband.

After Christmas, my crochet hook and I decided we needed to go on a break.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!