4.05.2013

Me, lately.

Hey, look I still exist!  But my baby belly doesn't (almost)!
New motherhood is an odd thing.  Everyday I feel pulled in 800 different ways. And being sleep deprived definitely doesn't help.  For the first 10 days after Ellie was born, I had a pretty rough time handling life.  Lots of tears were shed (which is very normal according to my midwife and the pediatrician).

With Brad's help, I was able to get out of the tearful funk, and began to feel like myself again. I've made a point to get out of the house at least once daily...even if it's just for a short walk with E around around the neighborhood. And lately, I've been able to manage some extra sleep and household items (well...he's handled household items).

I've even been able to get out of the house by myself a few times!

For Valentine's Day, Brad bought me a gift card to a local salon/spa with the intention that I use it after the baby was born. On Tuesday, I went and got a spa pedicure (with salt scrub and parafin dip!), and got my eyebrows done. I was gone for over 2 hours, and it was glorious.  Before then I wasn't able to leave for more than an hour at a time because of E's eating schedule. On Tuesday I finally figured out my breastpump (not that it's hard, I just hadn't tried it yet), and he was able to feed her in my absence. It was really nice to get out alone.  I came home feeling somewhat like my old self again.  It was also nice coming home to an adorable, smiling baby face (even if her smile was just from a little gas).

On Tuesday night, my mom offered to watch Ellie so Brad and I could go out on a date. We used to eat out several times a week, and that's one of the things I've been missing most since Ellie came along. We went down to a new-ish restaurant by the water.  It was really nice to get some alone time with my hubby. I actually felt a little guilty, even for how much I enjoyed being out without the baby. But Brad reminded me that the baby couldn't exist if WE (he and I) didn't exist first, and it's good for us to get to spend time together.

Since E's birth Brad's been off work for paternity leave, but next Wednesday he starts up again.  By going away on a business trip for 2 nights!  I am kind of dreading it. I'm not sure how I will be able to go to the bathroom, shower, or eat while he's gone. Maybe I just won't do any of those things.

This parenting thing is super hard work.  But everyday her little face makes it worth it.


This next picture I just want to share because it cracks me up...
Universal infant face for "I'm pooping."

4 comments:

  1. She's so perfect! Gorgeous! Brad's probably already dreading the teenage years...


    I am glad you're getting some me time again. Things will surely be fine when he's on business. I mean, she will sleep for at least ten minutes SOMETIME in there so you can shower, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to go out on a date! I agree about the need to get out the house each day. It helps me too, although outings can be stressful for me depending on how Micah does.

    PS - She is such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister's first few days were just like yours. She cried so much because she was tired and overwhelmed.

    Glad to hear that things are getting better. I think being able to go out and do things you use to do helps the big changes :)

    Ellie is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!