Brad and I have decided not to move. On Wednesday night, we decided to let the new house go. It was one of the most difficult decisions we've made as a couple yet. We both really liked the house. It had a great layout and a lot more space, and I loved the front porch.
It had been a month since we'd submitted our offer, and still hadn't had word from the bank. And that month gave us a lot of time to think about our financial future: Does it make sense to take on another house payment right now? What if we couldn't rent out our current house? Baby will be here before you know it, and there's a chance (a good chance) that we'll lose one income. With all that money we've saved up for a down payment we could pay off the last 2 credit cards we have and start making a dent in student loans. And be sitting pretty on just Brad's salary, if that's what we decide. We also weren't entirely sure we'd have all of the money we'd need for the down payment when it came time to close.
All of these questions/concerns had been spinning around my head for a week or so, but I hadn't said anything. When I brought up the subject during a drive out to visit Brad's parents I was surprised to hear he'd been feeling the same way. I thought we should pray about it before making a final decision (which we did), but I think the fact that we were both on the same page about it was, in-fact, an answer to prayer.
On Thursday morning we submitted the papers to pull our offer. It was a harder decision for me, I think. I had already become emotionally attached, and could see us bringing baby home to that house. I still feel a little sad about it (and guilty like we let the sellers down). But I know deep down that it was the right (and responsible) decision for us.
We do love our current house, and now that it's for sure we'll stay, we've got a renewed sense of pride and thoughts for home improvement projects. First up, hardwood floor refinishing...
|picture of our house from when I first purchased it 3 years ago|