9.18.2012

pregnancy brain

{via}
 I've been using the term "pregnancy brain" to describe minor lapses in memory since June, when I found out I was pregnant. Dumb things I forgot about. Or small tasks I didn't really want to accomplish and put off until the last second.

However, I've recently learned that this is nothing to joke about. Pregnancy brain is not to be taken lightly (ex: I originally typed that as "litely" ...um?). It is a real thing.

In the last 4 days, I have had two potentially catastrophic (exaggeration) cases of pregnancy brain.

First:  On Friday morning, I received an email from a co-worker asking about a shipment of postcards and when they'd be available for her to use.  I emailed back, cc'ing another co-worker saying I had not received them yet and did he know when we should expect those.  His response: "I thought those arrived earlier this week."  I then went into a verbal rant to my office mates about where did he get his information, that's ridiculous, I don't remember ever telling him that, who would've said such a thing, I'm so annoyed, blah blah blah.

About 3 hours later, I had a flashback (a very fuzzy, drunk-blackout-like flashback).  Of a nice older gentleman delivering a small shipment of boxes to my office a few days earlier. I had signed for the delivery, and had him place those boxes in a different spot away from my normal deliveries so that I wouldn't forget about them. ...Yep.  I then had to go back to my co-workers with my tail between my legs and say, "ha...just kidding. they're here. I'm a dummy."  Thankfully, the guy that was involved has a pregnant wife at home, so he fully understands the reality of pregnancy brain.

Second: On Sunday, we sat around reading books all afternoon, and at around 5:00, we started talking about dinner and what we should make.  At 5:15 I got a call from my sister.  "Are you there?" she asked me.  I said, "Yeah. Wait, we're at home...are we where?"

For the last 2 weeks, I have been working with my aunt to figure out dates for a dinner to celebrate my Grandpa's birthday. We settled on Sunday the 16th, and I even reminded her at the beginning of last week that she hadn't sent out an invite email to everyone with times and what to bring.

I was meant to bring a potato or rice dish.  And then I had a case of momnesia (another word for pregnancy brain) and completely forgot the exchange. I even forgot to tell Brad that dinner had been scheduled so he had no idea we were supposed to be anywhere that evening.  I hung up with my sister, and promptly called my grandparents' house to speak to my aunt.  "Ummm...heh...hi. pregnancy brain mishap. we're still at home. haven't made food. what else can I bring (preferably something I can purchase pre-made at the store)?"

We were half an hour late for dinner, and everyone kept making jokes about how my 84 year old grandfather is the on that should be forgetting stuff.  No matter how much I insisted that the baby is stealing all my brain blood, they teased.  They're teasers. It's what they do.

I'm pretty sure I will be teased about that forever.  And also my baby will be teased forever for stealing my brain capabilities while inside my womb.

It's real, folks. For real.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Congrats!
    New follower from Finding Beauty in the Ordinary!
    Follow me back via GFC??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!