10.18.2012

panic.

Refusing to cooperate. Hiding in a ball.
The picture above is my favorite one from our ultrasound the other day. Baby girl would not turn over and let us see her face.  When she wasn't looking at my back she had her arms up on both sides of her head so you still couldn't see her.  And then she'd roll back over and put her back to us. This picture is looking down at her from the top of my belly. She was on her back facing upward.


I have been riding a CRAZY emotional roller coaster for the last 2 days, since finding out our little one is a girl.

She is moving and kicking a ton, and it's so reassuring to feel her in there.  It's also oddly reassuring to be able to reference her using proper pronouns (instead of calling her 'it'...she was also incorrectly referred to as 'he' for the last few weeks).

I thought that knowing her gender would make me feel relieved.  Like, "OK, now I know and can plan accordingly."  Instead I pretty much panicked and cried.

A million worries flew through my head Tuesday afternoon:

"is green the right color for her nursery? should we make it more girly?  i'm not super girly...will she be? how am i going to protect her from all of the crazies in the world? kids are mean! so are a lot of adults for that matter! there is no way she's getting a cell phone before high school and texting pictures of her boobies to pervert little boys! what if she wants to text pervert little boys!?! what if pervert little boys pressure her to do things she doesn't want to do!? what if she gets bullied!? what if she hates me when she's a teenager!?!? what if i suck at parenting? what if i raise a brat child? what if she doesn't have any friends? what if she has hair like mine and looks like she has a giant frizzy puff ball on her head for the first 16 years of her life!?!?! what if, what if, WHAT IF!?!?!?!?!"

I. freaked. OUT.

It sounds silly, I know. 


Finally last night I had a thought. I thought to myself, "Dude, you're freakin' out and she's still 4 months away from being born. Calm down. Have a drink (of juice). Give it to God. And take it one day at a time."

So that's what I'm going to do.

I'm just so anxious to meet this girl!

peaking over her shoulder at us.


Blurry face. The one time she looked straight out at us.  And then she moved before we could get a good picture.


6 comments:

  1. I freaked out too! I cried right after our reveal worrying that Matt was bummed out (he swears he's excited) & then within 48 hours I made a list of things I would NOT let her do. It's amazing how differently your heart wants to protect a daughter (or even the idea, or preparation of a daughter) versus a son! Ex: There's no WAY I'm buying her MAC makeup at 14! (I stand by that one).

    Love you, lady. I'm excited to figure out raising our girls together. If we have Jesus and the same expectations they won't be brats...right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it's not just me!! haha I felt crazy all afternoon on Tuesday.

      I keep telling myself (and Brad tells me, too) Provbers 22:6 "Raise a child up in the way he should go, and he will not depart from it." It's almost become a chant in my head at times. haha

      Love you too! Our girl army will be loads of fun! :)

      Delete
  2. I could not stop laughing when u said "what if she wants to text pervert boys?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I know, I'm nuts. Texting probably won't even be cool anymore by then. :D

      Delete
  3. If she texts her boobies to my little boy I will let you know and we will have an awkward set-down-come-to-Jesus talk...LOL...

    But, seriously, your worries are normal. You are going to be a wonderful mom!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! it's a girl. love the first ultrasound pic, it is the cutest ever! don't you worry, everything will fall into place perfectly. congratulations on the baby girl!
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!