12.10.2012

traditions

One thing I'd really like to have as a Christmas tradition in our family is a nice nativity scene as a part of our Christmas decorations.  It's the one piece that I feel really represents the reason we celebrate Christmas. The rest is just pretty lights and sparkles.

For the last 2 years, I've bought nativity sets at the Goodwill; hoping I could find something meaningful at a discounted price.

But, wouldn't you know it, I'm actually really picky when it comes to these sets.

The one I bought last year, was one that we found at the Goodwill, and was still in the box. This is the one we currently have on display.  There were a few reasons I purchased it... the main reason being that the wise men are "ethnically diverse" (not-so-PC-version, one of them is black. I like that).


Turns out, I'm nit-picky about the historical accuracy of my nativity sets...
  • Jesus was born in Bethlehem, which is in Israel not far from Jerusalem, and He was of Jewish decent. Which means his mother was Jewish. The chances of Mary being blonde and Scandinavian looking?  Pretty slim.  She should at least be brunette.
  • And why isn't Mary holding her newborn baby!? She doesn't even look like she cares that she just gave birth! (this is a new issue brought on by my own pregnancy.)
  • Since when was Joseph a shepherd? The Bible says he was a carpenter by trade, so why does he need a hooked staff while he's building furniture?
  • Has anyone else noticed the size of those animals?  That is the tiniest cow I have ever seen. It doesn't even come up to the knee of that shepherd boy (who is also blonde, by the way. grr.). 
  • Also, this is a reference to a song, but the wise men... "We three kings of Orient..."  Did red-bearded men live in the "orient" at that time?
All this to say, I'm not a fan of this set.  It also came with a "stable" that was covered in real moss and had a cheesy light-up part with a star printed on the window.  It was messy and ugly, so we tossed that part.

What I've come to realize, is that, I think the Nativity for me is one where the people don't have faces...so you can't tell their nationality just by looking at them. Also, Mary should be holding her child!!

I was complaining about our Nativity to a co-worker, and she showed me this one.  This is now the only one I can buy that will make me happy with my purchase.

Mary is holding Jesus! There are camels! And they're accurate in size!

It is beautiful... and it's freakin' expensive.

http://www.houseofwillowtree.com/

2 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law has the Willow Tree set, and you're right, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, it's funny, i've never thought about these things regarding the nativity scene. i have one that i've had for a few years and i like it but i have a feeling that when i get home i'm going to stare at it and see all the things you pointed out, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for following along with me! I love your encouragement and feedback!